To me, the end of 8 speed represents a turning point in bicycle and component
history. The moment when trying to continuously improve products devolved into
some type of arms race (Ours goes to 11!). When more became more for its own
sake (or to have one more gear than the competition) rather than for real,
tangible, and noticeable improvement. 1999 or so? This probably speaks more to
my age than anything and I’m sure others see earlier/ different turning points—
sti, integration, brifters, v-brakes, etc.

8 speeds made so much sense. 24 gears (3x8) is plenty. I like 8 speeds. I feel
like it had so many advantages with so few downsides. I hope it finds a way to
stick around.

Cheers,
Chris