I have not yet tried the supple life with Compass tire offerings but do have a
set of 700c Sun CR18s (Harris Cyclery stock freewheel wheel set) and did find
the fit to be much tighter with some Ruffy Tuffys vs a set of Mavic CXP 22 when
moving the same tires between wheels on my and my wife’s road bikes.

I now have a set of Challenge Chicane clinchers on the same CR18s and they
mounted more easily.

I also had a LOT of difficulty with several tires on a different Sun rim on a
26” disc wheel... DS2-XC rim I think... one tire I stripped and partially
exposed the wire bead during the process it was so tight!

Interestingly, an old WTB velociraptor mounted no problemo on the same rim.

Like Bill mentioned, I think there is something to be said regarding technique
and I’d like to think I have improved my tire mounting technique in recent
years but I have also found certain tire rim combos that just seem to be more
trouble than it’s worth.  I could only assume this is the result of variances
in both the tire and rim manufacturing tolerances.   I’m still running tubes
exclusively and after enough frustrating roadside/trailside tube changes, once
I find a combo that works and is not to difficult to remove and replace I tend
to stick with it in order to disrupt my limited saddle time as little as
possible.

Brian Cole
Lawrenceville NJ