Lum,
Your experience with DT is similar to how I happened upon the pleasures of ss
riding.

Combine a tall frame + low DT levers + laziness + an old 12 spd that
effectively acted as a 5 speed: 40/52 double crank where I just stayed in the
40 + a worn 6th cog in the back.

I ended up just staying in 40/15 or 40/17 for several rides... it hit me one
night after heading back home that I hadn’t shifted the entire return trip and
on one of the hillier routes I take.  I realized right there that ss was both
doable and enjoyable.