I like all those things like "resource optimization" and "cost
efficiencies" where they provide value to actual human beings, but I still
ride Rivendells because the experience behind the handlebars is a sublime
one.  I've had go-fast bikes but I keep coming back to my Rivendells
because they are a joy to ride.  Maybe I haven't had the right go-fast bike
but I haven't been on something else that says to me that it's the
new-it-thing.  There isn't much better in life to me than cruising down the
road on my Riv shod with fat slicks.

I've ridden the cheaper copies of Rivendell or Rivendell-ish bikes like
Soma and Surly, et al., they're not the same.  I'm sure they are fine
people in their own right but the optimization on cost is to the detriment
of the cycling experience, IMO.

I don't know about all these retro-grouch concepts and I don't care.  I
don't like friction shifters and I will never run them (well ok my Clem H
has them but I am plotting their demise).  But by the same token I applaud
Rivendell for trying something different.  If people will buy it then great
for them.  I won't, but still, I'm sure I'll buy some other stuff that does
meet my ideas of cycling utility and frugality.

Ok, that's enough thinking about the existential themes of Rivendell for me
today.

-Jim