Kai,
Holdfasts are great, but take that with a grain of salt.  Your verdict on
Holdfasts may depend on your own experience with toe clips and or clipless
pedals and personal preferences regarding the feel of foot retention... but I
come from a flat pedal background never having used any of the alternatives and
only attempted to use some old toe clips once but my size16 foot didn’t even
fit the cage so never really fit to try them.  What I like about the holdfasts
is that they installed easily on my existing VP pedals, adjust easily to fit my
big shoes, allow fore/aft foot adjustment and do not put any pressure on my
toes and with spiked pedals and normal sneakers they hold very well and still
allow quickand easy removal (unless you really tighten them down snug)

They also hold they’re shape well... for the most part... for an entirely
fabric & Velcro structure they are stiff enough to retain shape after foot
removal for quick re-entry unless you squash ‘em somehow then they’ll stay flat
and you need to reach down to help secure again.

Long way of saying for a guy that never wanted to go with foot retention before
I have found they do what I need in combination with flat pedals without being
much of a hindrance otherwise