As you work up to longer and longer training and perms and brevet rides,
you will discover what is "optimal" for your setup  - what works best for
you. Trial and error. Tweaking your setups until you find what works for
you. Balancing between light and efficient, comfortable, and
durable/reliable (Noone wants to be stranded in the middle of nowhere).
Same with your food and drink on rides. Same with your clothing and shoes.
seem to do fin
I have seen randonneurs on bikes with all sorts of setups. So never fear.
Front racks, rear racks, upright bars, "heavy" steel bikes, skinny tires on
carbon race bikes, lights duct taped to helmets, crammed bar bags dangling
high up on high handlebars, etc.

One of the greatest distance riders in the history of bike riding, Lon
Haldeman, I think rode his Quickbeam with a hacked rear rack and bungeed
large rear bag on PBP with mismatched components and hacked bar wrap. I
remember seeing a write up about it by another randonneur somewhere online
with pics.

So whatever works for you is best!!