I received my 59cm Clem L last week and thought I'd post my initial
experience and thoughts.

To put my comments in perspective: I'm 62 years old, 5'9", and have loved
riding a bike since my first Schwin Collegiate 5 speed as a kid. Over the
years, I've owned Raliegh, Trek, and Cannondale touring bikes. My current
bike is an Easy Racer Tour Easy, a long wheelbase recumbent (and a hell of
a lot of fun to ride). My riding is mostly on rail-trail (the KATY trail
connecting St. Louis and Kansas City), paved bike trails, or groomed desert
trails in Arizona. I don't ride in city traffic much anymore due to all the
knuckleheads out there. I'd been lurking on the RBW website for a couple of
years as well as Sheldon Brown's old site and Peter White's site, trying to
figure out what I wanted in my next bike. I seriously considered a Tout
Terrain, drooled over the Atlantis, and looked at a number of Gates drive
bikes. I kept returning to RBW, mostly over the build philosophy but also
because riding the recumbent has convinced me that long
chainstays/wheelbases are the way to go. When I saw the Clem L, I was
pretty sure I had found the bike. My work life had taken me to Amsterdam a
few times where I saw men and women riding step throughs, so I was over the
girl/boy bike thing. The step through just makes a lot of sense to me,
especially as I get older and less flexible. I also prefer steel frames; my
Cannondale was aluminum, and I felt every grain of sand in the road on that
thing.

It's a leap of faith to buy online without a test ride, but I'm really
happy with the bike. The step through design of the Clem L allowed me to go
with the larger 59cm frame, which also got me into 29" wheels and even
longer chainstays. The stock Kenda's are my first experience with 2" tires,
and man do I like how they feel & roll. I'm still tweaking my saddle
position (Brooks B67) and handlebar position (Boscos) but I'm really close
now. Riding an upright is a different mindset for me. Clearly, I'm not
going as fast as other bikes I owned, but that's kinda the point. On the
Clem, I'm changing gears to maintain a comfortable cadence and worrying
less (actually, not at all) about speed. It's an "I'll get there
eventually" style of riding, and I love it. The thumb shifters are funky,
fun, and functional. They fall perfectly to hand and are easy to get the
hang of. The Boscos are a trip; the wide hand position was unfamiliar at
first but I like it already. It's very easy to control the bike. I went
with cork grips and love 'em. They're very comfortable, and I haven't felt
the need for my padded gloves once. The stock brakes are very good. I feel
they will be effective in any condition. The Silver crank is very
impressive for this style of bike; it's beefy, stiff, and transmits every
ounce of pedal power to motion instantly. The Deore component set is just
about perfect for this bike ... nice enough without going over the top. The
combination of frame material, geometry and components seems spot-on. The
Clem L is a really good bike, and just effortless to ride.

I'll be using my Clem in a lot of different ways; riding just for fun,
grocery getting/local errands, light trail use, grandkids in a baby seat,
and getting to fishing spots from parking areas. I've added the Pletscher
Clem rack, mostly because of their EasyFix accessories which snap into it.
I bought Pletscher's EasyFix basket and have my eye on their baby seat. I'm
adding a Sackville Bar Tube, a frame lock, and replacing the stock
kickstand with a longer Pletscher. The stock kickstand feels short to me on
the 59 ... the bike leans over more than I would like. Toss in some clip-on
lights and that's as far as I'm taking this one.

I can't say enough about the RBW purchase experience. My first bike arrived
damaged in transit. RBW provided free return shipping, and since they had
sold out of pre-built Clems between my order and delivery, they built my
replacement bike up from a stock frame and shipped this one in their own
packing (vs the stock packing for the Clem kit bikes). It arrived in
perfect condition and took all of about 10 minutes to unpack and assemble.
Thanks again to Will and Harry for helping me sort out this out quickly and
painlessly. I used the time between bikes to condition my rock hard Brooks
saddle a couple of times with Proofide. It's still hard as a rock, but I
feel better about it. :-)

Safe to say I'm a happy customer and looking forward to many years with
"Clem!"