The Silver2 shifters--many of you know this--are anatomically nearly
identical to the SunTours from '82. We tried to improve where we could, but
there wasn't much opportunity. The clamp is more versatile, fits more
diameters. The rotation method no longer used the holes, but goes with
florets on the perimeter. Sorry about the language here, don't feel like
you should understand that, but basically it uses the same rotation system
as SunRace thumbies. The one we designed (the clamp) was, I think, better
still, but the front-runner is still good. We had free run of the lever and
submitted the clamp, but Dia-Compe has its own ideas for the clamp, and
it's still plenty good, and improvement over the early SunTours.

I expect to see them in mid to late March. We've already mounted the lever
(just a left) and tested its ergo and all, and it's fine. The thing is,
when it comes out, we expect a certain amount of monday morning QB-ing, and
that'll be fine, part of the fun, but the lever is really quite good as it
is, and without the emotional backing of our customers in general and this
group especially, things like this don't happen.

Modern shifters-STI, trigger shifters, all that--really have been
perfected. They work perfectly, and from that point of view there's no
reason NOT to use them. It's just hard to argue why not...  For me it comes
down to a mix of a philosophical approach that .. is hard to put into words
without sounding like the unabomber, but it has to do with saying no to
ultimate convenience in the interest of integrating your brain and finger
mechanics into the working of a simple compound machine composed of a wheel
(the cable drum of the shifter) and a lever, the shifter itself. It also
has to do with resisting the urge for maximizing overkill in recreational
activities, and not accepting that it's stubbornness or stupidity to do
that (to resist).

We all know where the tide is going with everything, and I'd vote for more
than half of it, I'm sure, but there has to be a line. This reminds me
right now, of when I hired on at Bstone in December '84 and thought the
tag-line for the bikes was sappy or hokey or stupid. It was "The Body and
the Bike —the Synergistic Combination."  Looking at bikes and bodies now, I
think that's not so stupid anymore. Manual shifting--and maybe even
traditional indexing is part of that, in view of what's right around the
corner of the pike--is like digging in your heels at the 50-yard line and
not letting your role in riding the bike diminish as much as the component
makers and the desperate bike industry wants it to be diminished. They can
and are selling diminishment as advancement, but that's funky because it
assumes there's no pleasure in "the synergistic combination." It's FUN to
shift, it's FUN to miss a shift now and then, to be a flubby human, and
then to correct it on the retry. Every time your shift misses or isn't
perfect, it's a reminder that you're a fallible human operating a simple
machine, and of course you want your shifts to take all the time, but
nobody dies if they don't.    The Silver2 shifters will be pretty good.
Good enough! I just thought of something to wonder about. Hm. OK!