I think Bill makes a very good point about resale value. When I first read
this post, I'll admit some concern at Rivendell pricing themselves out of
the market. I thought 'Wow, I could buy a pretty damned good custom for
$2700." Simon Firth here in Philly makes amazing lugged frames/forks for
$2500. He was the head builder at Bilenky for many years. But with a stock
Rivendell, you get top-notch custom quality, that wonderful Riv ride,
and–should you decide to eventually sell it–at least half of the price back
on a five or even ten-year-old frame. You'd be lucky to get a fourth of the
original cost when reselling most customs.

Eric