One value-add, as they say in biznis speak, is what appears (from owning 5
Rivendells) a signature Rivendell handling quality which I experience as
straight line stability with "unerring" transition into turns. I had hoped
to get this from my Matthews, but didn't (and given that I ride 50 or, now,
60 mm tires at pressures in the low 20s, perhaps you simply can't get it
so).

But I'd be curious to learn what other custom builders have captured this
handling quality. I daresay it's not magic, but I certainly have found it
more with each of the 5 Rivs (tho' not all to the same degree) than with
other bikes I've owned, and I've owned quite a number.

Bertin, someone else's name.