I do believe this is theft...might be well intentioned and the owner
*might* get their bike bike but what does the person do if the owner can't
be found? Bottom line is that the person cut the lock and took a bike that
does not belong to them.

But, it may work out for the best in the end provided the lock cutter
actually gets in contact with the owner. He/She should have provided a real
picture of the bike in question though and contact Riv to do a serial
number search.

I would not do what this person has done though.