The gear calculator is an excellent place to answer my question, Kai. Thanks.
My switch from a 40t chainring to 44t (4.7-5.1, or an increase of .4 gain
ratio) was roughly the same as the difference in gain ratio difference betrween
165 to 175 (5.1-5.4, or an increase of .3 gain ratio). In other words, I’d need
to use a 41t chainring for the same ride feel, and that’s a significant loss of
either power when climbing or speed when descenting. I’ll likely stick with the
175s, but may go with a 170 and split the difference. Grin. Great suggestion,
Kai!

With abandon,
Patrick