The more extreme the course, the more important it is to level the playing
field. However, just as a matter of interest, an "exception that proves the
rule" kind of thing, about 7 years ago our Mark entered a super rugged
50-mile mtn bike race around (the area of) Lake Tahoe. So--6-7,000 feet,
lots of climbs and descents, loose shale-y rocks, rugged by any standard.
They almost didn't let him ride his cyclo-cross bike (with 35mm rear tire,
38 to 40mm front, no suspension). He raced in the super competitive 50- ?
category, and if you can't predict the conclusion to
this...welll....consider the context?
But yes, the exception. Mark is exceptional...and we steer away from racing
bikes, blah blah...while not steering away from racERS.