Mike: I own the 2-speed Cheviot "Scorcher" on the most recent Blug, so my
knowledge and bias will be from the tensioner side.

One thing I liked about the single-cog-on-freehub-with-tensioner arrangement is
I didn't have to worry about swapping bottom brackets to get the chainline just
right. I picked the 40-26 cranks I wanted, then slid the rear cog around until
I had a straight shot between the two chainrings.

As someone else mentioned, it's not as clean a look as one chainring, one cog
and a chain connecting them. There's a bit of "ok, it looks like I have a
derailer now, so why don't I just use a derailer and cassette??" involved, but
I solved that by spending the big money on a Paul Melvin. Now my
not-quite-a-derailer is a CNCed Paul made in Chico, CA.!

My vote is for a tensioner for your Roadini because the chances of wanting to
try a full roadie drivetrain later are probably high.