Tom - regarding the 2x chainring wide/low configuration:  It's not a
problem at all - you just might need a longer bb spindle.  That's what I
have on mine, with a pant guard in the outer position.   Fender needed
notching, but tire is fine.  One great thing about this setup, that I've
never heard anyone else talk about, is how well this configuration actually
works with these super-long chainstays.  I can freely use all 9 speeds in
the rear, on either the small or the big ring, without the chainline ever
being too crossed up, or rubbing on the derailleur or adjacent gears.  Best
gearing ever!