Well, (at least the green and orange) the QB's were made in Japan by Toyo,
so I'd imagine that their current Taiwanese supplier has a different supply
chain for frame parts than did Toyo at the time.  Secondly, the newer
dropout is hooded, like the dropouts on the Clem and Appaloosa, which
allows the dropout to be TIG welded to the stays rather than brazed.  I
think it also allows the dropout to fit a wider range of angles between the
stays without modification.  I'm not an expert in frame manufacturing and
I'm not sure how the costs balance against the cost of doing a new dropout
casting, but I'd imagine at least some of it is motivated by streamlining
the manufacturing process.

Finally, the new dropout has double eyelets whereas the QB ends had single
eyelets.