I read one of Tony Oliver's books, mostly about touring bikes if I recall.
I do recall that he was against chrome on a bicycle, the reasoning that it
actually weakened the metal as well as adding unnecessary cost.

I'm going from memory, so I may have misremembered the reasoning against
chrome, but he was definitely against chrome.

I've always liked chrome chainstays and fork tips from an aesthetic
perspective on vintage bikes though.

IanA (Say no to chrome!)