Regarding wide tires: I agree that adding significant weight on the
perimeter of the wheels is a good way to slow down both acceleration and
handling, but I have to say that compared to the 360 gram 50 mm F Freds, the
new-to-me Big Ones on the Matthews -- 440 grams!!! (well, I've seen them
range from 420 to 460) for true 60 mm!!! -- float over sand better, and
roll even faster on pavement, at least to judge this latter by the feel of
maintaining cadences in given conditions. Really wonderful tires! Besides,
they give the already somewhat industrial looking Matthews an even more
agressive, intimidating appearance, and that's what we all want, right?
(Before you get all indignant, consider whether this remark is earnest or
not.)

OTOH, I look forward to the day, perhaps, when I'll get a second wheelset
to run skinny Snoqualmie Pass tires tubeless, or perhaps even Barlow
Passes. But for local conditions, fatter is better, ceteris paribus.

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 4:46 PM, David B <daban...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My thought was to get the widest possible tires to fulfill my desires for
> a plus bike. I've sort of resolved not too buy another bike for a long
> while and ride what I have. I also was pondering this idea in the middle of
> a big snowfall. All snow is gone now, however the river trail I ride floods
> regularly and leaves the trail very muddy at times and I prefer wider tires
> for that type of thick mud.
> However, it's all sort of moot now as it was warm enough for Clem to take
> back his typical duties, going for rides with my son on a rear set. I did
> pick up a set of Ardents that I might play around with next winter.
>
> On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 3:42:30 PM UTC-6, Deacon Patrick wrote:
>>
>> I’ve found that the weight of wider tires sucks more out of all terrain
>> rides than they benifit the few spots narrower tires stuffle on — and that
>> includes winter riding (granted we’ve has a wimpy winter in terms of snow
>> depth). My Hunqapillar handles better with liteskin 2.1” ThunderBurts than
>> with wider and heavier tires. On my QB now (the only bike I’ve ridden since
>> November), 38mm Steilacooms are brilliant. Where the line is for a given
>> bike/rider/terrain/riding surface is going to vary significantly, but there
>> is a point of diminishing returns. With good riding skill, the number of
>> places I think “I wish I had a wider tire” is near nothing vs. the distance
>> I ride in total, whereas with a wider tire all those miles feel clumbsy and
>> cumbersome and plodding.
>>
>> With abandon,
>> Patrick

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique