Sounds like a great ride, Matt.  Too bad about that wind.  Did you at least
get a tailwind on some part of it?  Great that there was a good sized field
for it. I thought about it, but am still trying to figure out where my knee
is; able to do 40 yesterday, but that was with stopping every ten miles for
a stretch break.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Matt Critchlow <matt.critch...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I just wanted to quickly report on the 80 for Haiti ride yesterday. I
> had a fantastic time! It was my first time riding an AdventureCorps
> ride, and I was really impressed by how orderly and helpful Chris and
> the volunteers were. They got the 150+ of us out and riding in a quick
> and efficient manner, and the checkpoints were well laid out and well
> stocked with volunteers, bathrooms, water and food. We were also
> provided with some great teas from Infusion of Tea in La Jolla which
> helped get everyone warmed up at the start. The choco-vanilla Mate was
> my favorite. Speaking of which, it was actually a bit warmer than
> Chris predicted, which no one was complaining about! That said the
> wind was pretty brutal. Being 6'5" I get to feel every wisp of wind as
> it is, and as usual many people gravitate behind me(the one man wind
> shield) during times like this. I'd like to think that they gravitate
> towards me because they want to be friendly and chat, but that might
> be a little optimistic! I did meet some nice folks as a result of this
> though, and I'm used to it anyway.
>
> The ride itself was absolutely beautiful. The pictures in my mind put
> up on the site didn't really do the ride justice, although pictures
> rarely can. It was certainly a tough ride, at least for me, but it was
> really enjoyable and I met some really nice people. There was a great
> mix of riders there. You could obviously tell the club/competitive
> riders who took off at the start like they were trying to catch up to
> Lance or something, but there were actually a lot of "regular" riders
> out as well just taking their time enjoying the ride. Honestly I was
> amazed at the amount of TT bikes used by people and was sitting there
> at the start line shaking my head. We were going out on an 80 mile
> ride with 6k feet of climbing, and it just seems to me like a TT bike
> "might" not be the best option. But to each their own right? And
> seriously what do I know, I've never even ridden one :)
>
> Saw one Heron on the road with a very classic/classy setup, and while
> I was waiting in my second group to start I was standing next to a
> girl with a very cool old Raleigh Mixte. Chris snapped a pic or two of
> it before we took off.
>
> All in all I had a fantastic time and am already thinking of when I
> can get out to Pine Valley and ride again. I'd like to thank this
> forum for getting the word out on it, otherwise I wouldn't have heard
> of it and been able to attend. I was actually asked by a woman who was
> one of my wind shield followers for a while how I'd heard of the ride
> since I wasn't in a club or raced. I told her "on the Rivendell bike
> forum" and got a strange look. I explained quickly the company/bikes/
> style and continued to get strange looks. Oh well.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye,
scientist guy