My legs are generally able to give me a good overall indication of the amount
of climbing done on a given ride. In fact, there are times when they detect the
minutest changes in upgrade well before the Garmin 705 kicks in... :)

________________________________
From: Leslie <leslie.bri...@gmail.com>

While it's true that the satellite constellation has filled out (and
is currently being rearranged from a 21+3 to a 24+3 configuration over
the next year or so), and GPS receivers are now running at least 12
channels.....The same thing is going on with elevations, but in that case, it's
the
earth that's obscuring signals from satellites on the other side of
the earth.  ....FWIW, the maps that I usually make, I will pull my horizontal
location
off the GPS, plot it on a topo, ....  I've got a few Trimble units
here in my office that are sub-meter, and I can pull off sub-foot with
them, given enough time (and even cm-level accuracy w/ a LOT of time
and post-processing)

(Hope that's not totally confusing....)