The reason for a minimum insertion line is to prevent the wedge part of the
stem breaking off the top of the fork where it is threaded.  So, the
minimum insertion line is guessing at how far down a fork is threaded.
Ideally, I'd recommend sinking the stem so that the very top edge of the
wedge is below the end of the threads on the fork.  It would be a
categorically bad idea to have the entire wedge up inside the threaded
portion of the fork. The lower the better between those two positions

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA