I'm team mechanic and an assistant coach for El Cerrito High School
Mountain Bike Racing.  We're a decent sized team, all from the same school,
which puts us in D1 competing against other schools like Berkeley High and
Albany High.  Some of the teams are smaller and many individual schools
have too few riders to support a team, so they form "composite" teams that
include riders from several schools.  San Francisco Composite is a
powerhouse, as is Oakland Composite.  This year I've noticed a couple new
Composite teams that warm my heart. Tops on that short list is Richmond
Composite. Richmond, California is a rough town in the East Bay, with a
comparatively depressed local economy, and a lot of lower income families.
The Richmond Composite Mountain Bike Racing Team offers a great way to
expose lower income and minority teens to the outdoors and to cycling.
They also put a bunch of extra effort into including non-English speakers
and girls.  Richmond Composite has a fundraiser happening this Wednesday,
March 28th at Clif Bar Headquarters in Emeryville.  If you are an Easy Bay
bike person and want to be involved, here is info about the event:

https://richmondcomposite.brownpapertickets.com/

If you are not an East Bay bike person, or you are busy on Wednesday night,
but want to help out an incredible all-volunteer team, here's their
gofundme site:

https://www.gofundme.com/richmondcomp

I'm almost certainly going to be there Wednesday night, and I'll be trying
to parlay my donation into a jersey.  Richmond has some SWEET low-key team
jerseys.  Scroll down:

https://www.richmondcomposite.com/who-we-are/

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA