Thank for this, James. Some time ago, I came across your turkey vulture concept
and now employ it on several bikes. I live in an area with plenty of very steep
paved and gravel roads—many of them approaching 20% for short stretches—and
even steeper sections on the MTB trails. I’ve found that on MTB or mixed
terrain bikes, an 11-50 1x with a 32t chainring works great. (On once of these
bikes I have a SRAM GX shifter, and on another I use a Shimano XT shifter. Both
use the Shimano M8000 11s rear mech.) On a road bike, I want 105” or better at
the top, but I still need to preserve the 19” low end, so I’ve gone with the WI
46/26 and a 12-36 cassette. Thanks for helping people find these solutions.

Jay