Doug, I'm sorry. I did read your post, but I skimmed over the last two
sentences, so I missed the unpaved reference. Yes, you're absolutely right: for
Southern Californians, Palos Verdes has a great dirt climb that is fun to do on
touring bikes. You access the trails from the Abalone Cove beach area (kind of
near Wayfarer's Chapel if that means anything to anyone.) So there is some good
road-riding to get to where one accesses the trail. (And it was I who mentioned
it on the ride in October.)

Ulterior political motives start now: there has been some negotiation to work
out trail sharing among cyclists, hikers, and horseback riders, and all three
groups may ride in the area (with cyclists living with some off-limits
designations on some trails.) It would be fun to have a group of people on
country-bikes gently riding the area.

-Jim W.