My recollection is that my tour load for my Sam for the front Ortlieb
panniers on a Tubus Tara was in the 35 lbs range and that the Sam wanted at
least some type of weight on the back to accompany that front load if I
wanted it to behave reasonably, which I had, so no problem. My loose rule
for loading a Sam or a Homer:

Weight in back only > weight in back and front, biased at least 60/40
back/front > minimal weight in front only. Sam handled a full tour load
just fine - yeah, feels weird at first but once you get a handful of miles
under your belt, you get used to it and weird/slow handling becomes normal.
Homer didn't feel as bad with front-only loading but still pretty much
wanted the same loading schedule that Sam wanted, just with a lower overall
total weight. High/forward/baskets, IMHO, doesn't work super-awesome on Sam
or Homer with drop bars, but worked alright with a Rosco v.2 with Choco
bars (flat, swept-back bars), though the latter is hardly a "roady" bike.