Tom, aerobic base training is simply going at a slow enough pace that you
aren’t going anaerobic. Doing this over time increases efficiency, so that with
the same effort, based on heart rate, you are going faster/farther. Phil
Maffetone is the lad who put it altogether. He has a slew of books out. Pick
the one aimed at your lifestyle, they’re otherwise basically the same from what
I can tell.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=phil+maffetone+books&sprefix=phil+maff%2Caps%2C197&crid=1KYLAX2WME91R

Lum, my HRM is feel. I calibrated my feel early on with a heart rate app on my
phone. Since then, I monitor my effort by feel. Basically, if I can chant the
rosary to myself aloud, I’m good. The more I have to breath heavily doing that,
the more anaerobic I am. Simple and easy and free.

With abandon,
Patrick