Doesn't Grant have an article about 'how many bikes?'  I think he
settled out at recommending 7 for any reasonable cyclist:

1.  Light road bike
2.  Comfy road bike
3.  Touring bike
4.  Bomber touring bike
5.  City/commute bike
6.  Singlespeed
7.  Work in progress

For me, I pared way down to only two (a minimum for me over the past
25 years!).  I've got #1: a lugged steel custom Davidson Signature,
and #3: a Samuel Hillborne.  I have a deposit on #4: a 56cm Bombadil
(orange powdercoat).  Later this year I plan on getting a Velo Orange
Polyvalent for #5.  Next year I want to get a Roadeo for #2.  I live
at the top of a steep hill, so I'll indefinitely forego #6.  Who knows
what might reveal itself as #7?