On 05/22/2018 05:25 AM, ascpgh wrote:
At 50% greater rainfall than average this year so far, I'm very happy to have quiet aluminum fenders on my bikes. The amount of money spent on drivetrain consumables has been way less than it had been before I was a confirmed fender-er. The abrasive slurry of decomposing urban surfaces mixed water that is kept off everything contributes to durability no part maker could ever claim.

Fenders also reduce the grotesqueness you face when you grab your water bottle for a sip from what has effectively been your fender if you don't have any.

You really want to see grotesqueness, go for a ride during or immediately after a rain in Amish country.

What dry weather I ride in with the fenders on my bikes hasn't ever made me jealously consider taking them off. They keep dust lifted by the tires from being directly applied to the drivetrain moving parts in dry conditions too. I don't bother with "dry lube" for such any more, I still had dust contamination, only the degree is arguable. The amount of effort cleaning and reapplying lubes for wet and dry would create a superfund site and consume more time than just riding. With fenders.

My bike after an 80 mile ride on the GAP, the first 40 miles in pouring rain, then just the crushed limestone slurry : https://photos.app.goo.gl/uugCZ3HggdZmgHgM2

Yes!  I've been on club rides with folks on wet roads.  When done, those without fenders were complaining about the hour or more of cleanup work required.  With fenders, at most around 2 minutes.

How you keep your feet clean and dry without fenders: https://photos.app.goo.gl/IbVGgp84O2O9TdKh2

But try to pedal that way...