Have you had a good mechanic look at it?

Here are three different problems that I think would cause that symptom

1.  If you took the shifter apart, and removed the thin washer under the
shifter, and put it all back together.  The effective stack height of the
system will be shorter.  When you tighten the screw, you'll be tightening
it against the end of the post, not squeezing the stack.  With no squeezing
force on the stack, there's no friction.  You'd pull it to get it onto the
big ring, but no friction will allow it to drop back down.

2.  If the spring_ratchet mechanism inside was rusty or otherwise binding,
it could be stuck "open" and not engaging in the toothed drive-ring.  The
stack is squeezed but the friction part is not engaged because the ratchet
driver isn't engaged with that drive ring.  A good mechanic would notice
that the micro-clicking sound is gone when you pull cable, and the
micro-ratchet feel at your fingers is also gone.  It's just smooth.

3.  If the spring-ratchet mechanism has just failed, same as #2.  If the
rachet part broke or fell out, , or if the spring failed or fell out, same
problem

4.  The plasic washer at the top of the stack fits securely onto the end of
the post.  The shape of the hole is like a circle with two flats on it.  It
has to line up with the end of the post to slide onto the end of the post.
Only then can tightening the bolt squeeze the stack and cause the necessary
friction.  If the assembly became very loose, and that plastic washer came
off the end of the post and rotated, and then you just tightened the bolt,
you could be just clamping the washer to the top of the post, not sliding
it down the length of the post.  The result again is the stack is not being
compressed.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito CA