Actually, the ratcheting itself doesn't really do anything .... it's still
held in place by pressure from the washer. Loosen a racheting shifter and
what happens ?  It moves just like any other friction shifter, because it
is. The clicks sound neat and all and give the impression that they matter,
but it's still just a friction lever, and like any lever, some are better
than others at hold the position.

Now maybe someone is gonna tell me I'm wrong .... oh the humanity !
Ahahahahaha ;-)    Whatever ... either the shifter holds or it doesn't it
... "how" doesn't matter ... that a shifter is a shifter and by nature
shifts(what else? it's a shift-er) .... DOES .