I was pulling my hair out with this one too. Its much easier than we think.
Apparently the metal cable end just a little stuck, preventing it from
sliding out when grabbing onto the cable handle thingy. Just take something
like a small screwdriver or allen wrench (or a little stick if you're out
on the road/trail) and push the cable end (flat surface) within its hole.
This will free it up and allow you to pull the cable out nicely (with the
cable grab handle) while squeezing both brake pads against the rim with
your hand. I hope I explained this well enough.