The midge bars are MUCH wider feeling and in actuall measure.  I have
them and use them on some set ups, but find the drops short, I have
big hands.  The number of hand positions is somewhat limited too, due
to the shape.  I find myself always coming back to the Nitto dirt
drop.  Downside to that is they are near impossible to find.  I
stockpiled a few from the last batch rivendel sold.  There are rumors
now of more to come.  These were similar in shape to the noodle, but
more flair and no sweep back.

These are the standard nitto RM013 as sold by Riv, measure 49 cm at
the shifters.  These are my favorite for mostly road bikes.  I also
have a wider pair of RM013 053 that measure 53 cm at the shifters.
These are the business on mixed terrain bike as far as I am
concerned.  The Midge bars are way out at 56 cm at the shifters.
Also, since you are heading down this path, the new WTB dirt drop bar
is out there.  It is as wide or wider than the midge and yo uhave to
bore out the ends yourself for barcons.  The anatomic bend did not
really work for me at all.  I tried to like them over the course of a
year, but never made it there.

Good luck, you will get very good at setting up your controls as you
go through the process of finding what you like.

Rob