I'm a mechanic, and I understand how things work.  I think that is the
reason why I have several different shifter types on different bikes of
mine and have no problem remembering how to shift each of them.  I can use
high-normal and low-normal without freaking out.

Regarding low normal Shimano derailers.  I think they are flat our
superior.  I put my money where my mouth was and stocked up with a few
lifetimes worth of rear derailers when I sensed they were going away.  I
use high-normal derailers also, and they are fine, but I love having my
stock of low normal derailers whenever I need one.  Stock up on the stuff
you know you want to keep running.  9-speed cassettes, even 10-speed
cassettes might go away next.  Top quality 8-speed cassettes are long gone,
just like top quality 6-speed freewheels.

Don't ask my to sell any of my stock. I prefer to keep them.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA