Great story Leah,

One thing you might tell your friend is that there is a best bike for the
task at hand.  Don't ride a race bike unless you are racing or need to race
at your peak to keep up with the people you want to ride with.  Get another
bike that is comfortable, suitable to carry things on a rack and fendered
with a kickstand(!) for those other rides when racing is not needed.

I am more roadie than casual, and wear my clickety-clacks (road cleats on
one bike, recessed MTB cleats on the others) because I believe that they
will help me achieve what I want on the bike, but I am fortunate enough to
have the finances and space for multiple bikes.

Toshi