I totally get it.  I'm getting a new Atlantis, and it's just going to go to
the back of the que until I finish some other bike projects and until I can
afford a wheelset.   It will likely be several years before I ever ride
it.

Like you said, "when you see a Rivendell that you like, you need to get it
when you can" but, in my case I have to add "when you find a Rivendell (or
any bike, for that matter) that *fits*..."  The Atlantis has always been
the aspirational ultimate for me, but has never been offered in a frame
size that worked.  You could see it as a problem that I now have several
other bikes which I got as alternatives and which more or less duplicate
it's function, but I like them way too much and I've spent too much time
dialing them in to get rid of them.  That's one of the reasons I like the
long chainstays so much.  Variety, even if it's subtle, is variety.  Or, I
could justify it as a "spare."

I kind of want to give some cashflow to Riv right now too, even though my
own is tight at the moment.

Meanwhile, none of this means that I'm not actively refining a short list
for the NEXT bike or two that I'll buy.   You'll have to get WAY over 20
bikes before I see it as a hoarding problem, so relax.  You're in good
company.