A 23t chainring will run the chain at a 2mm smaller radius than a 24t
chainring. I looked at the 24t chainring I have on a Sugino XD, and the
chain already runs so close to the mounting posts on the crank that the
chainring bolts to that a 23t chainring wouldn't work as the chain would
actually hit the mounting posts. You would have to file down the outside of
each post to provide more clearance.

Nick