They are definitely more upright than 'staches.  I find that I can get
suitably aero on the choco's by grabbing the front of the bends and resting
my forearms on the swept back part (I didn't cut any off), but not really
meant for that type of use I think.  I was actually looking at other types
of bars that fit mtb brake levers that allow for a more forward position,
but not quite like drops; Soma Lauterwasser, Sparrow (upside down) or the
new Billie bars seem perfect, they're just out of stock, maybe even an
albatross upside down.  Seems like that is the beauty of quill stems and a
semi-forward bar - you could adjust the bar height with one of those
mentioned above to give you a more or less forward position, but still have
the luxury of upright if you want just by adjusting the height of the stem,
which doesn't take that long.