I bought one of the initial run of lugged stems, used it on my Riv
Road for several years, sold it (to another list member) for the same
$100 I paid for it.  It looked as good when I sold it as it did when I
bought it.  The nickel plating is very durable.  So it's got that
going for it, which is nice.

Otherwise, while it may be very stiff and is surely very strong, IMO
it's really all about the looks.

BTW, I only sold it because it was too long to give me a good fit.  I
replaced it with a Technomic Deluxe that was 2 cm shorter.  In this
case function won over form.

Bill