I know you said used, but Fairdale makes some pretty bulletproof and versatile
bikes for cheap. Bonus with new for a rider with less desire to pick up a
wrench is that most bike shops (at least my LBS) offer some sort of a service
plan for the first year to keep it running well.

https://store.fairdalebikes.com/pages/2018-fairdale-bikes/

My buddy just got a Fairdale Weekender and he loves it. That’s $800, but there
are a few in the $500 range that might be great.

The Flat Bar Surly Crosscheck is around $800 and it comes with a rack.

Bob K. in Baltimore