2.8s is plenty wide, for sure.

I already ride a rigid mtb and the widest tire I use on it is a 2.4...the
rear is a 2.2. It's a perfect combination for my local trails and don't
really think wider would add much. I love the fact it will be threadless
and 73mm bb, which makes it compatible with modern cranks and stems. (I've
also experienced the quill stem slips while mtb'ing, so I'm really excited
that it will be threadless).

I just now got back from a ride on one of my local mtb trails that has a
lot of turns, decent amount of roots, some berms, pump-track like
straights, lots of smiles, and not too many steep climbs and was thinking
about how I could totally make a Riv mountain bike work well on the trail.

I've decided I'm throwing my Santa Cruz up for sale partially because it is
totally overkill for most of the riding I do and partially because I'm
about 95% that I'm going to get this Riv mtb and the proceeds should fund a
large portion of it. I've been saying for years I've wanted to do a Riv
mountain mixte as a custom but never could get around to doing it and now
it seems like y'all are going to be building something very similar to what
I visualize in my future-bike-purchase area of my brain. Cool.