I ought to get one of these; I've used the old Park hex style for decades,
with no more damage than burring the edges of a few aluminum locknuts, but
this Stein type will be better

Only, does one have to pay $60 at Missing Link Tools (the sole source
Google showed me) to get one? The only Stein wrench I found is on eBay for
$86.

I agree with Hugh, you just don't have to adjust decent headsets (and just
about any aftermarket headset sold in the US is decent, IME) once you get
them right. Heck, even the OEM ones on generic commodity bikes stay put, as
far as my experience goes.

That said, perhaps I should saven my money, but if I can find a Stein type
for $40 or less, I'll bite.

Now some of the cheap Indian-made headsets I worked on came loose all the
time, but perhaps taht was because I used a "monkey wrench" to "adjust"
them.

So, sources?

Thanks.

PS: What do you (all) use to hold the cup in place while you tighten the
locknut? Me, a large adjustable wrench which hasn't slipped yet.