I would just go with the barlows if you don't find yourself on grass or mud
and don't ride getting out of the saddle on gravel hills very much. I'm
riding Antelope Hills on a mtb turned gravel duty and they have been
fantastic tires except if I get out of the saddle to push up some loose
gravel. They seem to slip them, but that also has to do with me being as
graceful as an elephant. The Steilacooms ELs make excellent cyclocross
tires which is how I've been using them. Muddy, grassy, dirty stuff where I
run them as fairly low pressure. They grip better than my Clements used to,
but they also are wider than the UCI accepts. Not at all a concern with me,
but there is more tread hitting the course than the Clements. I don't
really ride the Steilacooms on the road too much, but from what I have done
I've found they ride like a knobby tire rides on pavement, which is to say
they are noisy.

I've gone tubeless on both setups and haven't experienced a flat yet.