Instead of running just one strap from the rack tombstone to the
handlebars, I always ran a strap from each front corner of my basket to the
handlebar / stem junction, and one strap down to the base of the tombstone.
Did this with both my Mark's and Nitto 32F racks. I also never overloaded
my rack basket combo by more than 2-3 lbs, mostly because I don't really
like how the handling changed. Just an empty basket and medium Shopsack
alone added up to 2 lbs already.

I couldn't see how just one strap to the tombstone was going to save my
bacon if the rack failed on top of a knobby tire.

  The Riv website still mentions ziptie-ing a basket to the Mark's Rack.
How comprehensive / serious is this warning not to use baskets? Is it more
of a caution (nudge nudge wink wink, we don't use baskets do we?)???

John