Thomas:  It sounds like I did exactly what you are thinking.
My Sam came with 26/40 rings on a Sugino XD-2.  After two years the 40 felt
like it was not enough gear, so I tried both a 42 and a 44.

They did not exceed the "protection" of the guard.
The 42 did shift reliably.  The 44 felt like it was too big a step from the
26 and I had to be a little more careful.
These were with the stock Shimano Claris 2-speed front derailleur.

This still was not what I felt I really wanted, so after another year I
converted to a 3-speed - 26/36/46.  To do this I had to remove the guard.
I fitted a Shimano Sora FD3030 front derailleur.  This set-up feels exactly
right for me.
However, it has only been 800 miles with this set-up, and I have thrown the
chain to the outside twice.  It is "adjustment critical".

So ride it, swap chainrings, ride it some more.  Chainrings are relatively
cheap, and you'll know it is right when you find what you want.