Riv has said that these cranks aren't 10 speed compatible and others have said
it's because the xd2 spider spaces the rings a bit too wide for 10 speed setups
(either the narrower chain falls into the gap between rings or an indexed FD
doesn't push the chain sideways enough to make the shift, or both.)

If I wanted to run the xd2 as a compact double (42/28), do you think using thin
washers to shim the middle ring in closer to the granny ring would prevent
those 10 speed compatibility issues? I'd leave the outer ring off or get a
chain guard.

I ask because I have a bike with 10 speed indexing in need of a new crank and I
just found a pair of xd2s in the coop parts bin for $10.

Pete
Arlington, VA