They are, in my experience. The trps are a little wider and have that extra
hand perch up top which is somewhat useful. The button that releases the
lever is pretty useful, IMHO, especially when hooked up to v-brakes or
cantis; it just helps put slack in the cables to remove tires. The lever
portion is a different shape too, but I think that is neither here nor
there. The Tiagras are less expensive, especially considering you get some
brake cable and housing with them.