I use a Saddlesack banana sack up front on my appaloosa and a medium
saddlesack on the rear, which gets all the heavy stuff. I just got some
panniers for this bike but haven't had a chance to use them. bagging and
racking a bike seems like one of those things that is never set 100% for
me, and I'm always changing.

I've never really been a fan of front loading a bike, but I think a person
can get used to anything when riding. Loading a bike down affects the way
it rides and sometimes it's negative and sometimes it is positive....really
depends on the person. I did use a wald basket on my Jamis Aurora when
living in a city and found it worked very well, and was super convenient
for that kind of commuting. I just tossed my backpack into it, pulled the
net over, and rode in happy bliss.

If I were going to put a rack and a basket on a Hilsen I would probably use
the Mark's rack and not overload it or a Nitto front rack. I think the
Nitto front rack that can take panniers is really great looking on a bike
when not loaded down too, so that does factor into my thought process. My
appaloosa can easily take a Nitto R14 rack on the front because it has
those bolts on top of the fork crown...that would be the method I would
personally choose on my bike.