I don't know that with V-brakes, a la Clemlos,  it is that much cleaner,
it's just that you don't need the relay pulley; same bends, though. And
there really is no other routing that I'm aware of--most "women's" mt bike
frames from the 80s-90s came with this setup. It is the bane of
step-through (or in this case "hi-swoop") top tubes. At least with mixtes,
you can often avoid the dreaded "brake housing facing upward" routing by
splitting off around the seat tube. I guess they could do the old
chainstay mount u-brake....everyone would love that! Clean look, but dirty
brakes.