Jobst wrote about fenders as a liability on hiking trails that he rides (
here <https://yarchive.net/bike/fender.html>).  Like Jobst, I only ride one
bike and will be removing my metal fenders for the same reasons he chose to
never use them.  Fenders on trails has given me too much grief, even though
I have proper clearance and use slick tires.  There are a few hybrid fender
ideas that mitigate liability, but minimize road grime on me/the drivetrain
that I may try if I deem necessary.  For folks who keep multiple bikes or
don't ride trails, fenders make a lot of sense and I am sure I will miss
them from time to time.

Mat