I'd be interested to hear the tire and wheel differences in your two
builds. 3 to 5mph seems excessive, but not if we are talking knobby on
heavy wheels vs. slick on light wheels. Also, are the fits that much
different?  If your body sits a lot differently on the Riv compared to the
Soma you can be killing off some power potential. (I seem to be suffering
from this on my cross bike which I just cannot get fit to me
properly...probably will be on the lookout for something different this
winter.)